The Methodist Chapel has been a landmark in the village since Victorian times. It
was first opened on June 23rd 1898 (at the grand cost of £2,000) and was built by
local man Albert Wheat, from a well remembered family of builders in the village.
This was the ‘new church’ (previous Methodist Services had been held in a cottage
near Peak Cavern) and people travelled far and wide to the official opening service;
So much so that the train from Sheffield to Manchester made an unscheduled stop at
Hope to drop off the high numbers of visitors.
Primitive Methodists also worshipped in the village (in what is now the Village Hall)
however following national changes they joined the current Chapel in 1933 making
it one united Methodist Church.
The light and airy chapel was famed for the wood panels and carvings, and its excellent
acoustics: even so it had to wait until the 1920s for the organ to be installed.
One of the glories of the chapel is the beautiful stained glass window depicting
the Good Shepherd, put up in 1937. This was donated by Mr J.A.Stead, a Sheffield
cutler, who was also known in the area as an inspiring preacher. To celebrate the
50th Anniversary a Blue John Cross and Font were commissioned out of our unique local
stone, by Mr Walker, a stalwart of the Methodist circuit, whose family still live
in the village today.
Alongside the Chapel is the Walker Room, which can be hired for meetings, complete
with a fully equipped kitchen. This allows for many organisations and societies to
use the premises, including the Youth Club. Regular Lunches and Afternoon Teas,
along with exhibitions and concerts are held throughout the summer, all adding to
the thriving community spirit within the Chapel.
Current services are held at 10.45am every Sunday; please feel free to join us for
coffee before the service.
Prayer Group meet every Thursday at 10.00am and Fellowship Group on 1st Wed of month.
Ecumenical Services are held in turn, in conjunction with St Edmund’s Church, to
celebrate the major events in the Church calendar – Palm Sunday, Harvest Festival,
Remembrance Sunday etc.
Minister Rev Richard Towle 01433 650305
Bookings for Peveril Centre & Walker Room Hire:
phone 01433 208 026 or email firstname.lastname@example.org